For Momma - Memorial Slide Show (Turn Playlist Music off before watching)

Friday, March 27, 2009

Going Home - The Unexpected - Part Five

June 22, 1943


Dear Mother & Dad,

Here I am down at the Naval air station at San Diego, California. This morning we left March Field this morning and went to Glendale. From there I caught a ride in a B-34 bomber to this station. There is a P-38 squadron station here with the Navy. We sleep in Navy quarters, eat Navy food etc. We are out on an Island in the bay. It is nice and cool here. Everything looks pretty nice, at least so far.

Hey what do you know two Waves just walked by the quarters. It's the first time I actually saw a Wave.

How is the harvest coming back there? Did the grain come out OK?

I saw a couple boats like the ones Delbert said he was assigned on
They have quite an assortment of Navy planes here.

We will not be flying for a day or so yet as our flying equipment hasn't arrived and we have to
have a physical check to see that we are in flying condition. Say these quarters we got here are really swell. They are the best I have ever had in the Army. We even have inner spring mattress in our beds.

I would like to see some of the pictures you took while I was at home. Would you send some of them. I can return them again as I will not have much room to pack them around.

Hope you are all well. I'll be waiting to hear from you.
Sincerely,
Willis




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails