For Momma - Memorial Slide Show (Turn Playlist Music off before watching)

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

10th Edition Smile For The Camera - A Carnival of Images


The word prompt for the 10th Edition of Smile For The Camera is Costume? No, not as in Halloween. Costume as in dress in general; especially the distinctive style of dress of a people, class, or period. Show us that picture that you found with your family collection or purchased that shows the costumes of the rich to the not so rich, from the civil war to the psychedelic sixties. I know you have them, so share. Admission is free with every photograph!
Your submission may include as many or as few words as you feel are necessary to describe your treasured photograph. Those words may be in the form of an expressive comment, a quote, a journal entry, a poem (your own or a favorite), a scrapbook page, or a heartfelt article. The choice is yours!



It was so difficult to choose a picture for this contest because while working on my book I received so many absolutely wonderful photographs of my ancestors. And since it was my first time participating I wanting to choose one that was a little different than some of the photo's entered. I couldn't choose just one so I had to choose two. I know that the photo's were taken prior to 1917 because Nettie Habben, who is pictured in the photo of the three girls died at the young age of 15 in 1917. The Nelk family lived in Minnesota and the Habben family lived in Nebraska, so the photo's apparently were taken while the families visited one another. The photographs were in need of repair which I did and I took it a step further and colorized them.


Leola, Freda and Nettie

These coats appear to be made from bear fur, although I'm not really sure. I'm wondering if Uncle Fred might have shot the poor bear that contributed the fur? Possibly with the cold harsh winters of Minnesota these coats were available in the local mercantile shops.



Sadly Frank Habben, the only male in this picture, died just four months after his little sister Nettie. Martha's (far right) fur muff is still owned by her family and has been kept in a trunk full of treasures.


I think they all look nice and toasty in their fur coats!

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Hey, I'm going to the main family history library on Monday to do some Italian research for my family. Brett is going with me and he is getting really good at research. Is there any thing we can find or do for you there? Have you ever gone to the main library in downtown Salt Lake? It's amazing. I totally lose track of time there. I don't have your email address...mine is andrea.evers@comcast.net please email me and let me know how I can help. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea - Thank you for your kind offer. There are always things that we need to look for! I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures - they are included in my new book "Searching" that will be available in a couple weeks for ordering.
    Love you! - Aunt Terri

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails